Calling all writers! X-Files Universe is pleased to present our annual Fanfic Contest!
Fan fiction explores X-Files 3, creates new X-File scenarios, and acts as an extension of the episodes and the mythology. Fan fiction fills in the gaps from the scenes and stories where we wanted more. Do a favor for your fellow phile: Write a story! Fulfill the need for more X-Files stories!
This year we have great prizes, judges, and an easy method to submit your stories. Last year, XFU’s fanfic contest was thwarted by unforeseen technical challenges. Those issues are fixed, and we are excited to read your submissions! If you submitted a story last year, please submit it again.
Awards will be given for the following:
1. The Ultimate Fanfic: The judges will be looking as the best-written and thought through fic from the finalists
2. The Ultimate Character Representation: The judges will be considering if the characters are consistent with their roles on the series
3. The Most Likely to be a Chris Carter Episode: The judges must think, “Chris wrote this.: The judges will be thinking along the lines of: Is this an unscreened episode?
4. The Most Original Fic: Judges will choose this fic for its original content, a new or unknown storyline, and its presentation
1. Romance – Relationships between the characters
2. Drama – Rooted in angst, conflict or discovery of various character traits and feelings
3. Comedy – Will provide a few laughs or smiles
4. Case File – A story that would have been a good episode
5. Action/Thriller – Keeps the reader on the edge of their seat
6. Alternate Universe – A story set in a historical or unusual setting
1. The competition is open to all fans and fanfic writers, except the organizers, sponsors and judges.
2. A writer may submit a maximum of two stories for the contest.
3. Each entry is eligible to win only one of the four award categories.
4. The competition closes on September 1, 2011. Award winners will be announced at the end of September.
5. Entries must be longer than 1000 words but less than 20,000 words.
6. Judges decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the decision.
7. Judging will be based on a point system. Final point ratings for each entry will not be disclosed.
8. Prizes will be forwarded by mail. A complete prize list will be posted on the site no later than one month before closing date.
9. Winners will be notified by e-mail. Please provide us with a reliable e-mail address. If we cannot reach you within 72 hours of contact date for winning, the prize will be awarded to the runner-up.
10. Your entry must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com, with the words “fanfic contest” in the subject line.
11. By submitting to this contest, the author agrees to 1) allow X-Files Universe to highlight or mention the story in a news article and 2) allow X-Files Universe to make the story accessible to for readers either on the XFU forums or the XFU Fan Fiction Story Archive.
How to Enter the 2011 Ultimate Fanfic Contest
1. Write, write, write! Write a new fic or send in one that you’ve already written.
2. All stories will be posted either on our fanfic forum and/or our Fan Fiction Archive. If your story is already posted with XFU, please let us know. (Note: Winners agree to be highlighted in a news story. See rules for more information on how winning stories will be promoted.
3. Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Fanfic Contest” in the subject line.
4. Please make sure your story is submitted in a format that we can access, copy, and post: a Word document, text file or as the content of your submission e-mail.
5. At the beginning of each story, please include the following:
• Written By (please provide the your real name):
• Author name (please provide the name you want your fanfic published under).
• E-mail address: (Your e-mail address will not be shared or utilized for any other purpose other than this contest)
• Category: The category of your story will not affect the judge’s opinion.
• Time span or spoiler warning: Provide a time span for your story. Is your story situated during a specific season? If so, please let us know; it helps to give the reader some context. If your story provides spoilers for a particular episode, please list the episode name.
• Rating: Just like any movie rating, select one: G, PG, PG-13, R (no NC-17 please).
• Summary: A sentence summarizing your story.
The judges will be using a point system. Points will be awarded for each of the qualities listed below. Each quality may be awarded 0-10 points (with 10 being the highest rating).
• Character Representation
• Best Potential X-Files Scene
The Ultimate Fan Fic Winner will be the highest point total of all categories.
The Ultimate Character Representation Winner will be the story with the highest points in Character Representation.
The Most Likely to be a Chris Carter Fic Winner will be the story with the highest points in Best Potential X-Files Scene.
The Most Original Fic Winner will be the story with the highest points in Originality.
Grammar, delivery and story-telling will be factored into the scoring. Even if a story is exceptionally creative and tops the charts on a particular category, reading difficulty and poor story delivery will be taken into account during the judging.
You have been missing it. You have been asking for its return. Well here it is!
The XFU Fanfic Section is BACK!
Luckily Killashandra had saved many of the fanfics that were present on the old site, so most are not lost. They are uploaded on the page under the name “X-Files Universe.” Now you too can start adding your fanfics!
If you want to read, no sign in is necessary. If you want to post, you’ll need to sign up with your xfu username. You will then receive an email with a temporary password. Use this to log-in, then change it to your desired password.
Here is the link. http://xfilesuniverse.com/fanfic/